STIR FRIED KIMCHI PORK
Quick Stir Fried Kimchi Pork 김치돼지고기 두루치기
My easy Stir Fried Kimchi Pork recipe. Pork loin steaks, stir fried with kimchi, onions, garlic and ginger. Tastes A-M-A-Z-I-N G and takes less than 15 minutes to make so it’s perfect for a mid week dinner. This is my mum’s recipe. She often cooked this when I was a kid. I love this dish!
Watch my Stir Fried Kimchi Pork Recipe Video (1m 42s)
When I was in the first year of middle school (13 years old), my family went to my grandma’s without me. In South Korea, there is a lot of pressure on kids to study hard. I was in middle school and the oldest kid in my family. My parents gave me a lot of pressure. They wanted me to go to the best university in Korea, but, sadly, it didn’t work out. Haha.
Anyway, they left me to study all day on a Sunday. Of course, I invited a friend of mine and we had a great time! I told my mum we were going to study all day!
My mum cooked this dish and some rice in the rice cooker (almost all Koreans have rice cookers at home. Check out my list of Essential Korean Cooking Equipment.)
My friend thought my mum’s stir fried kimchi pork was super tasty and she asked if my mum could teach her mum how to cook it.
This food is something we Koreans eat very often at home rather than in a restaurant or takeaway. It is super tasty, spicy, savory and healthy. This dish brings back memories of my childhood, eating dinner with my family. It is comforting food when you come back home after a long day.
You don’t need many ingredients for this dish as long as there is kimchi, pork, onions and garlic in your fridge which we have them most of the time. If you don’t have ginger or if you don’t like ginger, you can skip it. I always put fresh chilies in the end to get an extra buzz. Even though there is kimchi and gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Powder), fresh chili gives food extra tasty spiciness. The saltiness depends on your kimchi, so, add more soy sauce or salt if you want.
Fermented kimchi tastes much better after being cooked. If you only have fresh kimchi, add a little vinegar to the kimchi for 5-10 minutes before you start to cook. You can use supermarket bought kimchi or you can make it yourself with my easy authentic recipe. Serve with a bowl of freshly cooked rice or steamed tofu. Enjoy your stir fried kimchi pork. I am 100% sure you will love it!
Leave a comment or question at the bottom of the page. I love to hear from you.
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 White Onion
- 1 Red Onion
- 500g Pork Loin, chopped
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Garlic, mashed
- 2 tsp Ginger, mashed (optional)
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine
- 3 tbsp Korean Red Pepper Powder (optional)
- 1 Cup Kimchi (You can put more in if you prefer. Fermented kimchi tastes better when you cook)
- 1 Red Chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1 Green Chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 Spring/Green Onion, Chopped
- Pour vegetable oil into a wok and fry the white and red onion for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped pork, stir and then add the sugar garlic and ginger.
- Cook the mixture until 60% done. It took me about 8 minutes. It all differs depending on your stove.
- Add the black pepper, soy sauce, rice wine, and Korean red pepper powder. Stir fry for about 30 seconds and then add the kimchi and cook until the pork is done. About another 5 minutes.
- Add the chillies and stir fry them for another minute. Garnish with more chillies, and the chopped spring/green onion. Enjoy!