NUTELLA STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE ROLL CAKE
Gorgeous Nutella Strawberry Chocolate Roll Cake
Vanilla Chantilly Cream, Nutella and Fresh Strawberries wrapped in a light fluffy Chocolate Sponge. Invite some friends round for coffee and a chat with a slice of one of the best Swiss Rolls you have ever tasted. My Nutella Strawberry Chocolate Roll Cake is that good!
Watch How to Make It
I love swiss roll. Probably it is one of my favourites. Koreans eat swiss roll a lot. There are more swiss rolls in Korean bakeries than here in the UK. To be honest with you, there are more bakeries in South Korea than in the UK. Surprising, isn’t it?
Most Koreans live in apartments. I used to live in an apartment complex where there were 2,000 apartments in total. Those apartments were very modern and everything was computerized. They are usually very high buildings. Some of them are 30 or 40 stories tall.
Where I lived, there were a couple of bakeries, three small supermarkets (they were much bigger than corner shops!), two ironing shops, fruit shops, hairdressers, convenience stores, a few kids’ academies, a few nurseries, coffee shops and a cash machine! It is so convenient to live in an apartment as you can get some ice cream or beer in a convenience store which opens for 24 hours if you fancy some at night. I miss my apartment if I think about it now. That was the first house I ever bought.
Koreans love bread, cakes and cookies, so, there are lots of bakeries. There are a few famous franchise bakeries, Paris Baguette and Tous le Jours in South Korea and they are everywhere. When I visit my friend’s house, I always buy a nice swiss roll from a bakery near to my friend’s apartment block. Swiss rolls with fresh cream always taste amazing and they are perfect for when you have a friend around for a cup of nice coffee.
I love chocolate swiss roll, green tea swiss roll, vanilla swiss roll, etc, etc. My list is forever! The best swiss roll I have ever tasted is this one! Nutella Strawberry Chocolate Swiss Roll! Yes, yes, yes! It doesn’t take long to bake and the fresh cream, nutella and strawberry filling inside the chocolate sponge taste fantastic together! Brew yourself a lovely cup of fresh coffee and have a few slices over a chat with friends. Bon appetit!
- Butter for greasing
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 50g Sugar
- 40g Double Cream
- Vegetable Oil 45g
- A pinch of Salt
- 40g Plain Flour
- 10g Cocoa Powder
- 4 Egg Whites
- 60g Caster Sugar
- 200g Double Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 30g Sugar
- 90g Warm Nutella
- 4 Strawberries, hulled
- 1 tbsp Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Put a sheet of baking paper on a shallow rectangular baking tray (34 x 24cm) and grease the paper with butter to stop the cake from sticking.
- Put the egg yolks, 50g of sugar, double cream, vegetable oil and salt in a bowl. Use a sieve to add the plain flour and cocoa powder and mix them well with a whisk
- Add the egg whites and 60g of sugar in a separate bowl and whisk them until the mixture stiffens and forms peaks.
- Add ⅓ of the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture and fold in gently with a spatula so you don’t knock the air out of the egg whites. Repeat until everything is mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and spread it around by tilting the tray and letting the mixture flow to the edges. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven. You can tell if it is done by inserting a cocktail stick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean or nearly clean, the cake is done. Put the baking tray on a heat proof surface. Lay another piece of baking paper on top of the cake so that it is covered. Place a cooling rack upside down on the paper. Using oven gloves, flip the baking tray/cooling rack upside down so that the cooling rack is now on the bottom. Remove the baking tray and carefully peel the paper off the cake. Place the baking paper back on top of the cake so there is a loose piece on the top and bottom. Roll up the cake width-ways while it is still hot. This step makes it easier for the cake to be rolled with the filling later. Leave to cool.
- While the cake cools, let’s make the filling. Add the double cream, vanilla extract, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk until you can make firm peaks.
- Roll out the cooled sponge cake and remove the top piece of baking paper. Spread the warm Nutella all over the top of the cake. Warm Nutella is easier to spread.
- Spread the whipped cream carefully over the Nutella. Arrange the strawberries in a row width-ways, about ⅓ of the way on top of the cream and roll the cake up again. Wrap the rolled up cake in the bottom piece of baking paper and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
- To serve, remove the baking paper and sieve the icing sugar over the cake.