MOZZARELLA CHEESE STICKS
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks 치즈스틱 チーズスティック
Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are perfect for kids’ snacks and birthday parties as well as an appetizer for cocktail or BBQ parties, but who needs an excuse! Enjoy!
The first time I ate mozzarella cheese sticks was around 15 years ago (I can’t believe it was that long ago!). My friend and I paid a visit to a fast food restaurant called Lotteria, which is one of the most popular fast food restaurants in South Korea. There was one right around the corner from my house. I used to meet my friends there. I miss them…. And there was a new menu item, cheese sticks. Of course we tried them. The taste was unbelievable! The inside was gooey and the outside was crispy! I’ve since developed a full blown addiction to cheese sticks. The taste is like heaven! Whenever I went to Lotteria, I ordered cheese sticks with soda for a snack or ordered them with hamburgers as a meal. Even though I didn’t really like cheese at the time as cheese wasn’t that popular in Korea, I loved cheese sticks. Go figure. Cheese sticks remind me of meeting my friends for a chat. We talked about all sorts of things like work, family and relationships.
Watch My Mozzarella Cheese Sticks Recipe Video (4m 47s)
A downside to living in the UK is that there aren’t any Lotterias! I have had to find out how to make mozzarella cheese sticks for myself. Haha, it is a hard life! Actually, they are extremely easy to make and super quick to cook as well. There are various brands of breadcrumbs, but, the best breadcrumbs are homemade ones. If you tear up some bread and put it in a food processor (it even works in a blender!) for 1 or 2 minutes, the best breadcrumbs are homemade.
It is a great way to use up leftover bread in danger of going stale. If you have any bread which is soon to be expired, store it in your freezer and then when you need them for breadcrumbs, you can thaw the bread in a microwave (or at room temperature) and then pop it in your food processor. Simple. And also, if you add dried parsley and garlic powder to the breadcrumbs, the cheese sticks taste A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-! Homemade mozzarella cheese sticks taste ten times better than cheese sticks in restaurants. Be warned, once you make them, family and friends will keep asking you for more.
My Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are fabulous with my Grilled Cheese with Caramelised Onions recipe.
Leave a comment at the bottom of the page. I love to hear from you.
- 2 and ½ half cups of breadcrumbs approximately 4 slices of toast bread
- 155 grams of mozzarella cheese cut into finger sized strips
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 40 grams / ⅓ cup of plain / all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Tear the bread into small pieces and put them in a food processor for 2 or 3 minutes until the bread becomes breadcrumbs.
- Cut the mozzarella into finger sized strips.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and add the water and sea salt and mix well.
- Add the dried parsley and ground garlic powder to the breadcrumbs and mix them well.
- Put the bowls in this order. Flour, egg mix and breadcrumbs. Dip each cheese stick, one at a time, in the flour, egg mix and breadcrumbs in order and then dip it in the egg mix and breadcrumbs one more time. Make sure cheese is coated completely, otherwise, while frying, the cheese may leak out in the cooking oil and it gets messy.
- Pour vegetable oil into a deep pan for frying, turn the heat on and wait until it gets to 170°C (338°F).
- Carefully fry each cheese stick in the hot oil 3 or 4 at a time. Don’t crowd them or they will stick together. Fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute and turn each cheese stick around in the pan so all sides cook evenly. Take the cooked ones out quickly and drain them in a colander. Repeat until they are all cooked.
- Serve the cheese sticks with tomato ketchup, honey mustard, ranch dressing or BBQ sauce.