KOREAN STEAMED EGGS (GYERANJJIM 계란찜)
Korean Steamed Egg (Gyeranjjim 계란찜)
Easy, fluffy, silky, non-spicy and dairy-free Korean Steamed Eggs garnished with spring onion, red bell pepper and a pinch of black pepper. Perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner with a bowl of rice and side dishes. Yum!
Watch my Easy Gyeranjjim (Korean Steamed Eggs) Recipe Video (m s)
This recipe is adapted from a famous Korean chef, Jongwon Baek, http://bmsj.tistory.com/191.
This is a lovely savoury sweet non-spicy but super tasty dish. It is soft like a pudding and incredibly satisfying. It is very cheap to make, healthy, nutritious and is undoubtedly my favourite dish!
I have some lovely news to share. Recently, I taught a Kimchi making class at Food Sorcery, the best cookery school in Manchester. Even though it was my first class, 10 people turned up. On a Wednesday! The class was on between 7:30pm and 9:30pm. It was such a fun evening!
After the class, I wrote an article about it and sent it to several newspaper companies. I thought someone might be interested in that kind of story. Yesterday and today, two newspaper companies (EKNews and Koweekly) published the story! I can’t believe it! My husband and I celebrated last night with a lovely bottle of Champagne. I am over the moon at the moment! I need another champagne (It is 11 o’clock in the morning now!).
Anyway, one of my readers requested this recipe. And then, I realized I eat this so often, but, I’ve never thought of posting this food on my blog. Sometimes, you forget the dishes you always eat. It is like a part of your body. In this case, my belly! Haha.
This dish is the first ever dish I cooked! When I was 10 years old, my mum had an operation. My mum taught me how to cook this in a microwave. The ingredients are the same, but, to cook it in a microwave, you have to take the bowl out a few times to stir them and then when it is 70% done, leave it alone till it is fully cooked.
I couldn’t believe I was able to cook something! Since then, I have cooked Gyeranjjim many times. For me, it is tastier to cook Gyeranjjim over a stove instead of the microwave.
When you go to a bar in Korea, you often get Gyeranjjim as a free Anjoo (a side dish served with alcohol). It is pretty easy to make, but, be careful not to burn the egg. Start stirring on a medium heat and turn it down to low when you put the lid on to steam the eggs. If you follow my recipe, you will find it easy. You can use more or less water depending on your taste. Using more water makes it softer. If you use less water, the taste is richer and more eggy.
You can add more salt or sugar for your own taste. I added spring onions and red peppers on the top. You can garnish with chopped carrots, chillies (oh yes!), roasted sesame seeds or sesame oil if you want to. Bon appetit!
Here is my recipe for Korean Omelette. One of my most popular recipes. 🙂
- Korean Sesame Oil for brushing
- 12 Large Free Range Eggs
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- 2 Cups of Water
- ½ Spring Onions, finely chopped
- ¼ Red Peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Brush the pan with a little sesame oil. This step is important to prevent the eggs from sticking to the Dolsot/pan. You will thank me later when you are doing the washing up. In the recipe I adapted, the chef didn’t do this step. I guess he doesn’t do any washing up like us. ^^
- Pour the eggs into the Dolsot. Add the sea salt, sugar and water. Whisk them well.
- Turn on the stove and heat the Dolsot/pan over a medium heat and stir continuously until the eggs are 80% cooked. Refer to my video if you are not sure.
- Put the lid on the dolsot and turn the heat down to low. I used a baking bowl which fits my dolsot perfectly. The eggs should rise above the lip of the Dolsot and the bowl is the perfect shaped lid.
- It takes another 3-6 minutes for Gyeranjjim to be cooked completely. You can hear a faint high pitched sound like “Chiiii---” The eggs should be just firm.
- Turn the heat off and take the lid off. Sprinkle on the spring onions, red peppers and black pepper and serve at the table from the Dolsot immediately.