Quick and Easy Kimchi Quesadilla 김치 퀘사딜라
My easy 5 minute Kimchi Quesadillas recipe, one of the best Korean fusion foods out there. The perfect comfort food for a super quick dinner. Serve with sour cream and salsa and away you go!
Kimchi goes surprisingly well in all sorts of forms. Koreans use kimchi to make kimchi fried rice, kimchi stew, stir-fried kimchi and pork, kimchi pancakes, kimchi noodle soup, steamed kimchi and pork, etc and etc. The list is endless.
Watch My Kimchi Quesadillas Recipe Video (2m 54s)
However, when Koreans started mixing kimchi with cheese like kimchi pizza, kimchi quesadilla, kimchi fries, kimchi gratin (it’s really a thing), I didn’t want to try them at all. I thought these crazy kids were…well, crazy for mixing kimchi with cheese and western food. How wrong I was!!!!
I only recently tried Korean fusion food when I saw a TV show about a Korean food truck in Los Angeles . The queue was amazingly long. When the customers were talking about how delicious those Korean Mexican foods were, especially the Quesadillas, I wanted to try it straight away.
I have always loved Mexican and Tex-Mex food! So, Korean Mexican food sounds like the best combination to me! The first time I made Kimchi Quesadillas, my husband and I fell in love them! They are easy, quick and delicious! They are perfect for your dinner parties as a finger food or just as comfort food after a long day and a great dish for busy working couples. The whole meal can be prepped and cooked in less than 15 minutes.
I love using extra onions, red pepper powder and sugar when I fry kimchi as it gives an extra sweet and spicy flavour combination. If you don’t want them, you can skip them. I love coriander as it is sooo delicious and gives extra flavour to foods, but I never had it in South Korea. I tried it for the first time when I went to Thailand. God bless coriander. I would love to add coriander to every dish! But again, if you don’t like it you can leave it out.
Leave a comment at the bottom of the page. I love to hear from you.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil 1 Red Onion
- 2 Cups of Chopped Kimchi, drained
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Korean Red Pepper Powder
- 4 Tortillas
- 3 ½ Cups of Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 100g Jalapenos (optional)
- 60g Coriander (optional)
- To Serve
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Sour Cream
- Pour a little olive oil into a frying pan over a high heat. When the oil is hot, add the red onions and fry them until softened.
- Add the chopped kimchi, sugar and Korean red pepper powder and fry them until the kimchi is cooked. It takes about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a clean frying pan, heat a tortilla on one side for about 30 seconds over a low heat and flip it over.
- While the outer side of the tortilla is being browned, shower the whole tortilla with the grated cheese.
- Add the kimchi mixture, jalapenos, a bit more cheese and coriander on one half of the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla in half and press it down gently with a spatula. Flip it over and press it with a spatula again. Remove the quesadilla from the pan and set aside.
- Repeat the steps with the rest of the tortillas.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and slices of avocado. Enjoy!