Easy Kimchi Pancakes 백종원 김치전 キムチのチヂミ
My kimchi pancakes are great for lunch with a bowl of steaming hot sticky rice, kids’ snacks (if your children don’t mind spicy-ish food), side dishes, picnics, parties and anju. Anju are snacks eaten with alcohol (Koreans eat plates of hot or cold food while drinking).
Kimchi is one of the most versatile foods on the planet. Out of everything you can make with kimchi, kimchi pancakes are one of the tastiest. The outside is crispy but the inside is soft and chewy! They are also very cheap to make and they don’t need any special ingredients. The main ingredients are kimchi and pancake mix, but, we often add pork mince or seafood like squid or king prawns. I have adapted a recipe from a famous Korean chef, Jongwon Baek. He uses canned tuna in his kimchi pancake recipe. When I read his recipe it sounded like a great idea. I tried it and it was super yummy. I have added Korean Red Pepper Paste (Gochujang) to make the pancakes richer.
Watch My Easy Kimchi Pancakes Recipe Video (2m 47s)
My mum used to cook kimchi pancakes very often. Specially during school vacation and weekends, we ate them for lunch or snacks. While we were scoffing kimchi pancakes as a snack, my dad used to eat them with soju (a Korean drink similar to vodka). Kimchi pancakes remind me of my family eating together, watching TV.
Korean pancake mix contains flour and cornflour and it makes pancakes very crispy and super tasty. I strongly recommend using Korean pancake mix for Kimchi pancakes. Another good tip is to chop the kimchi into small pieces. This makes it easier to spread the kimchi evenly when cooking. Also, extra kimchi juice makes kimchi pancakes taste more delicious. Kimchi is salty enough, so, you don’t need extra salt. Adding Korean Red Pepper Powder (Gochugaru) gives the pancakes a luscious red hue making them look more delicious and taste better as well.
Leave a comment at the bottom of the page. I love to hear from you.
- 200g Kimchi (chopped in small pieces)
- 60g Canned Tuna 60g (drained weight)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Kimchi Juice
- 1 tsp Red Red Pepper Paste (optional)
- 100g Korean Pancake Mix
- 50ml Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Red Pepper Powder
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Add the chopped kimchi, tuna, sugar, red pepper paste and Korean pancake mix to a bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Add ⅓ of the water and stir until combined. Repeat two more times.
- Add the red pepper powder and stir until combined.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat and add a scoop of the batter (I used an ice cream scoop). Flatten it with the back of a spoon until it is an even roughly circular shape.
- Cook one side of the pancake and flip it and cook the other side over a low heat. Try not to burn the kimchi pancakes.
- Fry the rest of the batter in the same way and enjoy my delicious pancakes!