BACON KIMCHI FRIED RICE
Easy Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice 베이컨김치볶음밥 ベーコンキムチチャーハン
Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice is a great mid-week dinner idea. Quick, easy and very tasty.
The other day, I couldn’t think of anything to cook for dinner. I wanted something quick and spicy, but as it was nearly time for a food shop my fridge wasn’t offering many choices. There was bacon, kimchi, and a couple of vegetables that needed using up. Great! Bacon Kimchi fried rice it is!
Watch My Easy Bacon Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe Video (3m 06s)
My mum often cooked kimchi fried rice when she didn’t have a lot of time. It is also popular with Korean students as they usually have some of their parent’s kimchi in their fridge and it is very cheap to make. Even though it doesn’t cost much, it is very nutritious and versatile. You can replace the bacon with ham, sausages, chicken, pork, beef, canned tuna (recipe coming soon) or even tofu. Pretty much anything you have in the cupboard, fridge or freezer.
I love kimchi fried rice so much that I eat it at least once a week (Is it due to my laziness?? No! I really love it). Koreans love of kimchi fried rice is so great that it is mentioned in a popular song called, Heemangsahang ( It means “Ideal woman” ) by the singer, Jinsub Byun. He says a woman who can cook delicious kimchi fried rice is his ideal girlfriend (no one would accuse him of being politically correct!)
Cooking an omelette around the rice has become fashionable in Korean restaurants. I have adapted this part of the recipe from a famous Korean chef, Jongwon Baek, http://post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=6652653. I added more cheese as I love my omelettes to be super gooey. It is quite easy to do, looks fabulous and tastes super delicious.
Make your own Kimchi using my easy, authentic recipe or buy Kimchi and Korean Red Pepper Powder on Amazon using our affiliate links below at no extra cost to you.
Leave a comment at the bottom of the page. I love to hear from you.
- 150 grams Potatoes (chopped into a half centimetre cubes)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 60 grams Spring/Green Onions, chopped
- 50 grams Unsmoked Bacon, chopped (can be replaced with any meat, tuna or tofu)
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 150 grams Kimchi, chopped
- 3 tbsp Kimchi Juice
- 3 tsp Korean Red Pepper Powder (Gochugaru) (optional)
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 300 grams Cooked Rice
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 50 grams Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Cook chopped potatoes in a pan with boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the spring onions leaving a few for a garnish.
- Add the chopped bacon and garlic powder and fry, stirring occasionally until it is cooked.
- Add the kimchi, Korean chili powder and sugar. If you don’t like very spicy food, you can skip the Korean chili powder. Adding sugar deepens the taste of the food.
- Add the soy sauce, kimchi juice and cooked potatoes and cook them until there is no liquid left. Replace the soy sauce with salt (to taste) if you don’t have soy sauce at home. You must add kimchi juice to make super tasty bacon kimchi fried rice. Don't skip it.
- Add the cooked rice. You can use leftover or ready made rice from a supermarket if you don’t want to make cooked rice. Mix the cooked rice with all the cooked ingredients in the pan thoroughly over a low heat. Lastly, add the sesame oil.
- Put the kimchi fried rice in a bowl and carefully turn it upside down in the centre of a skillet. Drizzle a tablespoon of vegetable oil in the skillet and pour the beaten egg around the rice. When the egg is nearly done, sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the egg and cook for a further 1 or 2 minutes until the cheese is gooey.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped spring/green onions. Enjoy!